Roasted Broccoli & Chanterelle Mushrooms
My heart has been heavy these past few days and while I’m choosing to stay positive it’s quite evident that our nation has a lot of work to do. I’m not going to share my thoughts and opinions on the election here–this is a place I want folks to come to to escape from the day to day grind. But I do want to acknowledge that as a member of this country (and planet) I’m going to do my best to love a little deeper and find common ground with the differences that divide us. I’m choosing to put the land’s needs in front of my own and to be more conscious about my consumption and footprint on this planet. We all get to vote every single day with the way we treat one another and how we spend our time and money. Food is medicine and love and respect will determine our future. It feels good to know that that power is still in our hands.
One place where I’ve always been able to find comfort and joy is around the dinner table. The ritual of sharing a meal, clinking glasses with family, neighbors and strangers alike is one of the most vital ways humans connect. I honestly believe food has the power to unite us (it’s why we got into farming in the first place) and I hope wherever you all are that you find a little comfort, love and peace when you sit down to dinner tonight.
This simple roasted broccoli and chanterelle mushroom salad is one heck of a side dish! Our good buddy Colin (you remember him right?) is a master at mushroom hunting and we’ve been spoiled all season long with the beauties he treks out of the woods. This is my first time roasting chanterelle mushrooms and I’ve got to say, roasted mushrooms are amazing! They become extremely tender and their flavor peaks at an all time high! I paired the roasted mushrooms with some Tumbleweed Farm broccoli and a lovely sesame ginger sauce (thanks for the local and organic ginger Wildwood Farm!) and we were in heaven. We served this salad alongside some grilled salmon for a lovely weeknight meal.
I hope you all enjoy this seasonal salad as much as we do.
Cheers to good food and unconditional love.
Roasted Broccoli & Chanterelle Mushrooms with Sesame Ginger Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4Salad
- 1 bunch of broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds) cut into florets, stems roughly chopped
- 1 pound of chanterelle mushrooms, sliced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (or Sriracha)
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Toss the broccoli and mushrooms with olive oil, salt and pepper. Arrange the veggies in a single layer on two rimmed baking sheets. Place in the oven and roast until the broccoli is browned and lightly crips and the mushrooms have shriveled a bit, about 25 minutes. Rotate the pans and toss the veggies halfway through cooking.
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce and use and emersion blender or small food processor to puree the ingredients until smooth. Taste test and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve the roasted veggies with the sauce and enjoy.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary *Taste test as you go