Roasted Asparagus & New Potato Salad
This is my idea of comfort food in the springtime. It’s comforting because of the roasted potatoes yet it’s still light and “spring-y” because of the fresh asparagus and lemon vinaigrette.
The weather hasn’t made up its mind and we’ve been experiencing everything from 75 degrees and sunny to torrential downpours and major drops in temperature. The extremes make it really difficult to get dressed for the day and I always seem to get it wrong which results in a wardrobe change every afternoon. Laundry this time of the year is always a nightmare!
The weather may be unpredictable (and lord knows the weatherman can’t be trusted) so I particularly appreciate the reliability of my kitchen and fresh ingredients. After a long stretch of rough days on the farm this meal really brightened our spirits.
I couldn’t get through hard times without these two guys. I know we will have plenty more hiccups at the farm but as of now things are on the up and up!
Roasted asparagus and potatoes are a lovely match and I hope you all enjoy this meal as much as we did. The lemon-caper vinaigrette just moved to the top of my favorite dressings and if you can believe it- there isn’t a hint of tahini anywhere! Who am I?
You can find asparagus and new potatoes at your local farmers markets this time of year. New potatoes are great because they are harvested young and tend to be sweet and really creamy. No peeling required! Major plus!
This meal deserves to be enjoyed with someone special. So grab your lover, best friend, dog, cat, mom or dad and dig in!
Roasted Asparagus & New Potato Salad with Lemon-Caper Dressing
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Serves: 4
- 2 Tablespoons oil of choice (we used grapeseed)
- 4-6 new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends broken off and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cups fresh arugula
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- A few extra capers to toss on the salad at the end
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 Tablespoons capers
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- pinch of fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add chopped potatoes to a bowl and drizzle with 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil. Season with a little salt and pepper. Place on a prepared baking sheet and cook in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Toss asparagus with the remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil and season with a little salt and pepper. After 10 minutes remove the potatoes form the oven. Add the asparagus to the pan and toss everything together. Place back in the oven and cook until potatoes and asparagus are browned and slightly crisp on all sides. About 20 minutes. Check veggies after about 12 minutes to make sure nothing is burning.
- While veggies cook prepare you dressing by combing all the ingredients and whisking until smooth. This works best in a food processor or with an immersion blender. Taste test and adjust ingredients if necessary. Set aside.
- Once veggies are done roasting remove from the oven and immediately toss with the arugula and walnuts. The arugula will wilt quite a bit which is what we are going for here!
- Place veggies in a large bowl and drizzle with dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide salad among plates and sprinkle crushed red pepper flakes, minced dill and a few extra capers.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide. *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary. *Cooking times will vary depending on your oven and the size of your veggies *Always taste test as you go