Grilled Broccoli & Kohlrabi Salad with Smokey Cashew Sauce
This was the recipe of the week for our CSA members and I’m really excited to share it with you as well! We’re harvesting kohlrabi and broccoli consistently now and we love preparing these delicious veggies together. They’re great eaten raw and one of my favorite summertime snacks is thinly sliced kohlrabi with sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil. So good! However, sometimes it’s fun to doctor these veggies up a bit and a few minutes spent on the grill with a side of this smokey cashew sauce is hard to beat. I’ve made this sauce on the blog before but somehow we keep coming back to it.
Funny story-we deliver Tumbleweed Farm lettuce to an awesome BBQ restaurant (Apple Valley) here in Parkdale every week. This past weekend they were catering a good friend of ours wedding and there was a gal who was attending that was vegan. When I was delivering the lettuce the day before the event they asked if I had any ideas of a good sauce to prepare for an individual vegan portabella mushroom dish. After describing this smokey cashew sauce they were intrigued so I immediately called Taylor and had him start soaking my cashews ASAP! I wanted to whip up a sample when I was done dropping of the rest of our restaurant deliveries that morning. The verdict? They served it with her meal at the wedding!
As a side note, if you find yourself in in Parkdale, OR this summer be sure to swing by Apple Valley BBQ for a good meal. Obviously the salad is killer (Tumbleweed lettuce!) but the rest of the menu is out of this world too. When we’re craving a little meat we head up the road for the best and you all should too!
You don’t need to be a vegan to enjoy this cashew sauce. We served this grilled salad with some chicken on the side and it was a great meal. With that being said, crack open a cold beer and head to your grill!
Grilled Broccoli & Kohlrabi Salad With Smokey Cashew Sauce
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Serves: 4Veggies
- 1/2 pounds broccoli, cut into 1 inch florets
- 2 kohlrabi, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds and then into half moons
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt + pepper
- 1 cup raw cashews-soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika, more or less depending on preference
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper + more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup water + additional to thin if necessary
- Prepare the sauce by draining the soaked cashews. Rinse them under cold water and then place into a high speed blender along with the rest of the ingredients. Blend on the highest possible setting (a vitamix works well here!) until smooth and creamy. Scrape the sides down as necessary while blending. Taste test and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Preheat the grill to high. Toss the broccoli and kohlrabi with the oil, salt and pepper. Place directly on the grill (being careful not to let the veggies slip in between the grates) and grill for about 3-5 minutes per side or until lightly charred and crisp.
- Serve with the cashew sauce and enjoy
Notes*Extra sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week *Use this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary *Taste test as you go *Have fun in the kitchen