zucchini pasta with parsley pesto
Sometimes a farmer needs to stop and smell the parsley.
And then get inspired to cook something really tasty!
We currently have summer squash and zucchini flooding the farm. And with the arrival of tomatoes I knew I needed to make something that would highlight a few of my favorite things.
When I first told Taylor that I was going to use zucchini in place of traditional pasta noodles he looked at me like I had two heads. I reassured him that I had made zucchini pasta in the past and that he loved it. He told me I must be mistaken because there was no way he enjoyed “fake” pasta. At this point I did what any wife would do in this situation. I poured him a beer and told him to leave the rest up to me.
The best part about this “pasta” dish is that there is ZERO cooking involved. Taylor gobbled his up and still couldn’t get over the fact that I didn’t use “real” noodles. I did however use this spiral cutter from Amazon. However, you don’t need one. A sharp knife will do the trick.
Zucchini Pasta With Parsley Pesto
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 0 mins Serves: 2-4
- 2 large zucchini, peeled and cut into thin spirals (a spiral cutter is helpful but not needed)
- a large handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- For the Pesto:
- 4 cups flat leaf parsley, stems removed
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- To prepare the pesto combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Taste test and set aside.
- Prepare you zucchini. Once it is cut into spirals place in a large bowl with cherry tomatoes.
- Toss the "pasta" with 1/2 the pesto until well combined. Add more pesto if need be, otherwise save the rest for another use.
- Season the pasta with salt, pepper, and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
NotesUse this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as needed. Taste test as you go.