Delicata & Brussels Sprouts Salad
I can’t believe it but we’ve already had our first snowfall of the season at Tumbleweed Farm! Thankfully we got all time sensitive chores complete before the storm rolled in. We finally finished mulching all of our garlic beds and now they are resting underneath a blanket of fresh snow. It’s amazing how quickly the weather has changed.
Obviously Henry prefers running around in the snow rather than helping me mulch garlic. Look at how much happier he is in this second photo! After hours of playing in the snow I had to drag him in so I could start preparing dinner. I’ve had this festive salad on my mind ever since my sister-in-law and I whipped this up for our family last weekend. We had a pre Thanksgiving feast since we can’t all be together on the big day and this salad was a hit.
I wanted to share this recipe this week because I’ve gotten a few panicked emails from readers who are in charge of bringing a side dish to a vegetarian Thanksgiving and were desperate for ideas. Don’t worry folks, I’ve got your back! Thankfully, this salad will impress vegetarians and meat eaters alike. The combination of the sweet squash, pungent brussels, toasted hazelnuts and chewy dates pair really well with the sweet and tangy vinaigrette. Thanksgiving just got a little tastier and I hope you all enjoy this salad as much as we do. Bon appétit
Delicata, Brussels Sprouts & Hazelnut Salad with Cider Vinaigrette
Prep Time: 15 mins. Cook Time: 45 minutes Serves: 6
- 3 medium-sized delicata squash (about 2 pounds total)
- 1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup pitted and chopped dates
- 1/2 cup parsley, diced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon style mustard
- 1 TBS pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Rinse the delicata squash under water and remove any dirt. Slice the squash into 1/2 inch thick rounds and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds from each round. Slice each round in half and toss with the sliced brussels sprouts and olive oil. Sprinkle the vegetables with a little salt and bake in the oven until lightly browned and tender. About 35-40 minutes. Stir veggies halfway through cooking.
- While veggies bake heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the hazelnuts and lightly toast. Keep a close eye on the hazelnuts to make sure they don't burn. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by placing all of the ingredients in a jar secured with a lid. Shake until well combined. Taste test and adjust seasonings if need be.
- Transfer roasted veggies to a serving platter and stir in the hazelnuts, dates and parsley. Drizzle with dressing and enjoy!
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide. *Adjust measurements and ingredients as needed. *Taste test as you go. *Cooking times will vary depending on the size of your vegetables and your specific oven.