Cashew Milk Matcha Latte
St. Patricks day is Tuesday and this latte is about as close as I’m going to get to a green beer or florescent green jello shot. Don’t get me wrong, we aren’t party poopers and we’ll probably indulge in a little Jameson Whiskey for the occasion, but the truth is, the farm isn’t taking the holiday off (I’m sure most of your are in the same boat and must work as well) so we’re sticking to our daily chores as usual. Besides, we’ll feel all the holiday love while tending to these lovely (and festive) seedlings in the greenhouse.
Some of you that follow me on instagram may notice that I’ve already posted the recipe for this frothy beverage before. It’s my favorite homemade latte and I usually whip one up mid afternoon when I’m feeling a little sluggish and rundown. If you haven’t tried matcha yet you are in for a real treat. Unlike steeped green tea, matcha is made by grinding the whole tea leaf into a powder. It’s a powerhouse of antioxidants and a natural energy booster. I love preparing matcha with homemade cashew milk, dates, cashew butter and a little vanilla extract. It’s a tasty beverage that satisfies the sweet tooth without the sugar crash. I’m addicted and I think many of you will be too!
If you haven’t made cashew milk before don’t fret. It’s a breeze and requires less time and patience than almond milk. I usually only soak my cashews for about 1 hour before adding them to the blender with water and whatever flavorings I like (vanilla extract, maple syrup and a pinch of salt). However, if you’re in a pinch for time you don’t even need to soak the cashews. If you have a powerful blender you are totally set. Also, unlike almond milk you don’t need to strain the cashews (unless you have a weak blender). They should blend up beautifully without pulp and the result is a creamy, frothy and decadent “milk” beverage.
I hope you all enjoy these matcha lattes as much as we do. If you’re in celebration mode tomorrow I’m sure these would taste awesome with a shot of Jameson Whiskey. Heck, we may try that as well! Look out for the post on instagram. Cheers everyone!
Cashew Milk Matcha Latte
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes Serves: 1 drinkCashew milk
- 1 cup raw cashews (preferably soaked for 1 hour but not necessary)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon real maple syrup
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1-2 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon cashew butter OR almond butter/peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- tiny pinch of fine sea salt
- If the cashews have been soaking, drain them and rinse under cold water.
- Place the cashews, vanilla extract, maple syrup and water in a high speed blender. Blend on the highest setting until smooth and frothy (about 1-2 minutes on the absolute highest setting)
- In a small saucepan combine 1 cup of cashew milk, 1 teaspoon matcha powder, 1-2 Medjool dates (pitted) cashew butter, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a high simmer. Remove from heat. Place everything into a high speed blender and whirl away until completely frothy and smooth.
- If need be return to the stove and heat up a bit before serving into your favorite mug.
Notes*Matcha powder is available at most grocery stores or health food stores or can be ordered online. *Use this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary. *Taste test as you go. *Above all have fun in the kitchen.