Balsamic Roasted Peach Crostini With Cashew Cream
Surprise! I have another peach recipe for you. Are you turning orange yet?
Peach season is winding down around these parts and I’m trying to squeeze in a few more recipes before they are gone for good.
These balsamic roasted peaches with basil are pretty stinking amazing. We loved them so much that we ate the leftover roasted peaches with oatmeal the morning after we enjoyed these toasts.
If you are skeptical about cashew “cheese” I really encourage you to give it a whirl. It’s really simple to prepare and if you have friends that are allergic to dairy or are avoiding it for other reasons it’s a nice alternative to have up your sleeves. Taylor is still under the impression that these crostini are made with ricotta cheese. Shhhhh!
However, if cashew cheese just isn’t your thing you can totally substitute with ricotta, goat or feta. Regardless of the cheese you choose the flavor combination of the balsamic roasted peaches with basil is to die for. These little toasts are a great appetizer to bring to a dinner party or even perfect for a light dinner served with a side salad -which is what we did.
I hope you all enjoy these crostini as much as we do. Pour a glass of your favorite wine, turn on some of your favorite tunes and dig in!
Balsamic Roasted Peaches with Cashew Cheese & Basil Crostini
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 20 mins Serves: 12 toastsFor the crostini:
- 1 baguette of bread sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 4 large ripe peaches, pitted and cut into 1/4 inch chunks (only peel if desired)
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil +additional for brushing the bread slices
- salt and pepper
- 8-10 basil leaves, julienned
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 30 minutes in warm water)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional but it adds a nice cheesy flavor)
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, oil, honey and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss with chopped peaches and place mixture on a prepared baking sheet. Bake in the oven until peaches are tender and have begun to caramelize a bit. About 15-20 minutes. Toss mixture halfway through cooking. Keep a close on things to make sure peaches don't burn.
- While peaches cook prepare you cashew cheese. Place soaked cashews along with the rest of the ingredients into a high speed blender or food processor. Whirl away until smooth. Taste test and adjust seasonings if need be. Set aside.
- Once peaches have fully cooked remove from oven. Brush bread slices with a little olive oil and place on the upper rack of the oven. Toast for about 3 minutes.
- Assemble the crostini by spreading a layer of cashew cheese followed by a dollop of roasted peaches. Add basil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide. *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary. *Always taste test as you go.