Quinoa, mushroom, and sweet potato salad
My sister and I had dinner together last week. Not only did we have an amazingly fun evening together, but we ordered take- out from an awesome restaurant in Portland. The food was excellent. We had a kale salad with a creamy dill dressing and a warm quinoa and tofu salad with a tamari glaze. The quinoa salad was the best. I tried to recreate it here. However, I left out the tofu. But feel free to add chicken, tofu, or any other protein of your choice. Enjoy!
Quinoa, Mushroom, and Sweet Potato Salad
Prep Time: 15 Cook Time: 15 Serves: 4
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups mixed mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup kale, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbs grated ginger (or more)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (or more)
- 1/2 cup minced scallions
- 2 tsp sesame oil (or a little more)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tsp sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Cook the quinoa according to packaged directions.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan filled halfway with water add your sweet potato and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until sweet potatoes are fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a little olive oil. Add the onion and mushrooms. Cook for about 7-10 minutes stirring often. Add Broccoli, cauliflower and kale. Cook until kale turns bright green. About 3-5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and quinoa. Mix well to combine. Remove from heat and drizzle with ginger- tamari sauce.
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl and let stand for 10 minutes or so. If you have an immersion blender it works well here! Enjoy