These margaritas are hands down the best cocktail I’ve ever made. I’m not sure if they tasted so damn good because we had just spent a chilly night sleeping in the car followed by 9 hours of driving or if they just tasted good because they are amazing on their own.
Taylor, Henry and I spent a beautiful but chilly night sleeping in the Wallowa Mountains. We woke up bright and early and continued our journey north to Montana.
We arrived at my brothers house just in time for a few beers while we sat in the back of his truck watching the sun go down before heading in for dinner.
Once we were all settled in Rebekah and I got to work making margaritas. Did I mention I love being on vacation?
Snow was falling from the sky, a fire was burning in the wood stove, long johns and scarves were worn, and despite all of that we felt like we were on a tropical vacation. These margaritas are the best! The original recipe is from Bon Appetite. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 mins. Cook Time: 30 mins. Serves: makes 8 drinksCranberry Jam
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 4 TBS fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 TBS sugar
- 3 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 lime wedges, plus 4 oz fresh lime juice
- 8 ounces fresh orange juice
- 12 oz tequila
- In a medium saucepan bring cranberries, sugar, orange juice, and 1/2 cup water to a boil; Reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally until thick and jammy. About 30-40 minutes. Mix in orange zest and let cool.
- To assemble mix salt, sugar, and five-spice powder on a small plate. Rub rims of serving glasses with lime wedges; dip each glass in mixture and fill glasses with ice.
- For each cocktail combine 1/2 oz lime juice, 1 oz orange juice, 1 1/2 oz tequila, and 2 TBS cranberry jam in a cocktail shaker; fill with ice and shake until outside is frosty. Strain into prepared glass.
NotesUse this recipe as a guide. Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.