raw kale salad with spicy peanut vinaigrette
Something really wonderful is happening…..
We don’t go to the grocery store for anything other than pantry staples, beer and wine. Tumbleweed vegetables are not only taking over the farm but they are taking over every meal that we eat!
Beet, kale, and carrot juice in the morning. Raw kale salad for lunch. Roasted broccoli, kohlrabi, and carrot rice bowls for dinner. And not to mention all the snacking we do on raw veggies all day long. It’s the best!
We are working our tails off and every hour spent hunched over, lifting heavy objects, sweating, crying, and not to mention the heat stroke that comes with it all is finally paying off. We are eating like kings!
Our goal for this first season farming on our own is to break even with the investment that we have put into starting the farm. So far we are right on track (and I don’t want to jinx it, but we may even make a profit this first year!) The future is looking bright!
Hey look Dad….The corn is knee high by 4th of July!
Okay, I’m only 5’1. But still…..My dad came out over a week ago and none of us were sure that our corn would be “knee high by 4th of July.” Taylor took this photo of me on July 4th. I think our corn is right on track (despite how short I am!)
My dad wasn’t the only one who has come out to help recently. My mom drives from Portland every Friday to pick up the CSA boxes that we provide to some of our favorite Portlanders. My mom usually stays for a while to help us weed. She is AMAZING!
Between 90 degree days, 10 hours spent hunched over in the blazing sun, and a small appetite this lovely kale salad really hits the spot. Pour yourself a glass of wine, play your favorite tunes and dig in!
Raw Kale Salad With Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette
Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 0 mins Serves: 2
- 1 large bunch of curly kale, (or your favorite variety) stems removed and chopped into bite size pieces.
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, (if canned, drained and rinsed)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 carrots, cut into very thin slices
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced
- small handful of crushed peanuts
- For the dressing
- 3 TBS smooth organic peanut butter
- 3 TBS warm water
- 2 1/2 TBS tamari (organic low sodium if possible)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 TBS honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Toss the kale, onion, and carrots together.
- Combine all ingredients for the dressing and use and immersion blender to process until smooth. (you can use a regular blender or hand whisk as well)
- Pour half the dressing over the kale and massage the dressing in. (This will help take away any bitterness in the kale leaves)
- Add avocado and chickpeas. Pour the remainder of the dressing (or if it's too much dressing save for another use)
NotesThis kale salad will keep really well in the fridge for up to 3 days. As always adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.