garlicky kale toast with avocado and poached egg
Heat wave 2013 is in full swing. I can barely type this post because my hands are too sweaty for the keyboard. (Gross!) I’m also stripped down to my bra and undies because that is the only way to deal with this heat situation. I think I’m in good company though. I’m pretty sure my whole neighborhood is sitting around their kitchen tables naked at the moment!
Heat and all we still had a TON of work at the farm. Good thing we called in for reinforcements, otherwise we would not have gotten anything done in this weather!
Do the hats give it away? Yes, we are family! This little guy is my nephew.
My sister and brother-in-law came to town to visit the farm and to make sure we weren’t dying of heat stroke. We escaped our tasks at the farm for an hour and headed out for lunch. It was a lovely breather. Ironically, we ended up at the local brew pub (Solera) down the street and ate their salad special which features Tumbleweed Farm lettuce. Yep, when we eat out we still like to order our own food!
Once our bellies were filled with fresh greens (and a good beer) we headed back to the farm to finish a miserable day in the sun and heat.
Poor Henry was confused and thought the air conditioning in the truck worked when the car was off. We had a hard time getting him out of the truck and into the shade. He had high hopes for some AC blasting in his face!
The heat is out of control right now. The only thing that is keeping me sane is a glass Oregon Rose’ and this simple dinner that took less than 15 minutes to prepare. Strip down to your undies, pour yourself a glass of refreshing wine, and make this dinner! It’s worth the few minutes you have to turn your stove on!
Garlicky Kale Toast With Avocado And Poached Egg
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 10 mins Serves: 2
- Two large slices of a good quality baguette
- 2 eggs (organic free range if possible)
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 small ripe avocado, pit removed
- 1 TBS olive oil plus 1 tsp for drizzling
- 2-3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add kale and sauté for about 5 more minute or until kale is tender and bright green.
- Meanwhile, poach two eggs in boiling water for 4 minutes (you could also fry two eggs instead)
- Toast two slices of baguette
- Spread a little avocado onto each slice of bread. Top with kale and poached egg. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Enjoy!
NotesUse this recipe as a guide and adjust ingredients and measurements as needed.