garlicky kale with roasted carrots and tahini sauce
I’ll be the first to admit that I am semi-addicted to anything involving a tahini sauce. And while I pride myself on loving vegetables in their natural state (this usually involves a bite into a carrot with a side of dirt) I cannot help but love the addition of a creamy tahini sauce to jazz things up a bit.
This photo pretty much sums up how I usually like to eat my carrots. Dirty with their tops still attached.
However, a girl can only take so much dirt. Thank god for a hot shower, a glass of wine, and a wonderful husband who does all the dishes!!
Garlicky Kale with Roasted Carrots and Tahini Sauce
Prep Time: 10 mins. Cook Time: 25 mins Serves: 2
- 1 cup cooked rice (1/2 cup uncooked)
- 2 TBS olive oil (dived)
- 4-6 large carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 bunch garlic scapes, minced (or 2-4 cloves)
- 1 14.5 ounce can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed and torn into bite-size pieces
- For The Tahini Sauce
- 1/4 cup organic tahini
- 2 TBS rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- a few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook your rice and set aside
- Combine all ingredients for tahini sauce together. Whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine chopped carrots with olive oil. Place o a prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20-15 minutes (or until browned and fork tender) Flip carrots over halfway though cooking time.
- In a large skillet heat 1 TBS olive oil. Add garlic scapes (or cloves) and sauté for 5 minutes. Add kale and cook for about 5 more minutes. Add 1-2 TBS of water if pan is too dry. Add chickpeas and cook until kale is tender and chickpeas are warmed through. About 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine cooked rice, kale, chickpeas and carrots. Add tahini dressing and toss well. Enjoy!
NotesUse this recipe as a guide and taste test as you go! We used garlic scapes instead of cloves because that is what we have available at the farm. Use cloves instead if you don't have scapes.