There are 5 necessary things that should be in a farmers back pocket at all times.
1. A pocket knife
5. A little piece of paper that reads “I know you’re in pain now but this will all be worth it. Keep calm and farm on.”
Things are getting real out there guys. After 8 hours spent in a back breaking position I am proud to say we have our first planting of kale, collards, onions, shallots and leeks in the ground! We are excited and terrified at the same time. Our little plants are now exposed to all the elements.
Fingers and toes have never been crossed so hard!
The good news is that we found a tractor driver! Thanks Henry.
I think tonight will be another restless night for Taylor and me. We are confident that our plants will be fine, but there are still voices in the backs of our heads saying something bad will happen. Watching the weather channel is not helping either…. Instead lets focus on dinner!
These Carrot-Ginger-Broccoli Rice bowls are pretty darn awesome. I have always loved the combination of carrot and ginger together. The addition of broccoli was a nice touch to this easy meal. Dig in!
Carrot-Ginger-Broccoli Rice Bowls (serves 2)
1 TBS olive oil
2 large carrots, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 small head of broccoli, chopped into florets
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (3/4 cup uncooked)
1 TBS fresh minced ginger
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 TBS honey
1 TBS rice wine vinegar
2 TBS Tamari sauce
a handful of unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Combined broccoli and carrots with 1 TBS olive oil. Spread on a prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 20-25 minutes (or until carrots are tender and broccoli is slightly browned)Turning mixture at least once.
2. Cook your rice according to package directions
3. Whisk together the ginger, garlic, honey, vinegar, and tamari.
4. Once veggies are done roasting combine them with the rice and drizzle on sauce. Enjoy!