broccoli and mushroom bowls with spicy sesame sauce
One of the things I love most about living in a farming community is that we are able to trade produce for things like meat, eggs. milk, cheese, mushrooms, berries, and even beer. All of the lovely things we aren’t able to provide on our own farm we are able to trade for. It’s amazing!
While we are busy digging in the dirt at Tumbleweed Farm our neighbors are busy raising animals, caring for orchards, making cheese, brewing beer, and of course many of them are digging in the dirt as well. It’s awesome being surrounded by so many different farms.
I took this photo today after walking over to our neighbors orchard. Look at the view from his farm! Incredible. (And still walkable from Tumbleweed thank god!)
I know I have mentioned this before, but we are falling head-over-heels in love with this area. Everyday when our backs are killing us we take a moment to stand up straight and look at the beautiful scenery. We are so dang lucky to farm here!
Before I get to this lovely recipe I need to give a shout out to my amazing parents for helping me take care of the farm this weekend. Taylor flew to the east coast to be in his best friends wedding. (I was so sad I had to miss it) Henry and I were in charge of Tumbleweed for three whole days. I got lonely (and slightly overwhelmed) so I called in for reinforcements. I have the best parents. Thanks guys!
This lovely bowl of goodness highlights some of Tumbleweeds best produce. I’m loving the broccoli these days. And heck, I love throwing fresh cilantro into almost anything. The mushrooms are from Hood River Organic. So damn tasty!
Grab a fork and dig in!
Broccoli and Mushroom Bowls with Spicy Sesame Sauce
Prep Time: 10 mins. Cook Time: 25 mins. Serves: 2-4
- 1 TBS sesame oil (divided)
- 1 lb mushrooms (any variety you like) diced
- 1 lb fresh broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 large bunch of scallions, diced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 small bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- For the sauce:
- 2 1/2 TBS Tamari
- 1 TBS rice wine vinegar
- 1 TBS pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (use less if you don't like that much heat)
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 TBS toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1-2 TBS water
- Prepare the sesame sauce by combing all the ingredients and whisking together until smooth. Taste test and set aside.
- Cook quinoa.
- In a large skillet heat sesame oil. Add scallions and sauté for about 5 minutes. And mushrooms and continue to cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring often. Add broccoli and cook until broccoli is bright green and tender.
- Remove veggies from heat and stir in the quinoa.
- Scoop a healthy portion of veggies and quinoa into bowls. Top each bowl with cilantro and drizzle with sauce. Enjoy!
NotesUse this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary. Always taste test as you go!