zucchini noodles with beets and lemon tahini sauce
I feel the need to dedicate this post and this recipe to my amazing in-laws who came to visit Taylor and me this past week. I’m pretty sure this was not the most relaxing vacation they’ve ever taken. We put them straight to work on the farm. It really does take a brave person to come out and visit us in August!
The good news is that Taylor’s dad is pretty used to getting his hands dirty. We used to work side by side with John when we were farming back east. He and his brother started Hutchins Farm and that is the whole reason why we got into farming in the first place. We learned from the best!
While Taylor’s folks were in town I felt like the laziest farmer. His dad took on some of my least favorite chores (harvesting crate after crate of summer squash and weeding.) My lower back got to take a much needed vacation. My mother-in-law cooked us farm fresh dinners and sported her new Tumbleweed Farm hat around town. We could definitely get used to having a few extra hands around these parts.
Since my workload was lighter these past few days I had extra energy to whip up this tasty “pasta” dish. I used my new favorite kitchen tool (a spiral cutter from amazon.) Check it out here. You don’t need one to make the dish though. A vegetable peeler or sharp knife will work just fine. You can also sub in regular spaghetti noodles if zucchini noodles aren’t your thing. Pour some wine, play your favorite tunes and dig in.
Zucchini Noodles With Beets and Lemon Tahini Sauce
Prep Time: 10 mins. Cook Time: 15 mins. Serves: 2
- 2 medium sized zucchini, cut into spirals or thin strips (this works best with a spiral cutter)
- 2 large beets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 avocado, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley, tough stems removed and minced
- olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the Lemon Tahini Sauce
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 4 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water (or more if too thick)
- 2 TBS of minced parsley
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a saucepan 3/4 full of water. Bring to a boil. Add beets and cook until fork tender. About 10 minutes. Once beets are strain them and place under cold water. Set aside until ready to use.
- Make the tahini sauce by combing all ingredients in a blender. Add more water if needed. Taste test and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the zucchini noodles with the beets, a small handful of minced parsley, and avocado. Slowly drizzle in the dressing (reserving any extra for a later use). Season to taste with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
NotesUse this recipe as a guide. Adjust measurements and ingredients as needed.