beet and sweet potato arugula salad (aka detox salad)
How are you all feeling? Let me guess, you could use a salad?
Taylor and I are recovering from a wonderful holiday spent with family and close friends on the east coast. We got to visit Hutchins Farm (our old farm) which was a highlight for me. To be honest, it felt strange being there and not rolling up my sleeves to do any work (I’m sure if I didn’t arrive in yoga pants and Ugg boots I would have been put right to work. I’m almost mad I didn’t bring farm cloths. The apple trees need to get pruned!)
Even though we may not farm at Hutchins anymore, this place will always have a piece of our hearts and souls. Our blood, sweat, and tears will be in this soil for a looooong time. It’s amazing how much Hutchins Farm has transformed our lives. We will be forever grateful.
Aside from visiting the farm, we had a blast with my in-laws and some of our close family friends who came up from North Carolina to spend the holiday with us. The weekend went by way too fast, however, we enjoyed being back on our old turf.
One of the highlights was dancing around the kitchen with my sister-in-law and our great friend Christina while we cooked. We sang along to Mariah Cary’s holiday album (no judgment please!) while we sipped on champagne cocktails and helped prepare Thanksgiving side dishes. I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to feel like a lady after 9 months of living in the dirt. Champagne, Mariah Carey, and clean clothes can really transform a girl!
By the way, champagne and pomegranate juice make an excellent cocktail!
Alright, enough about cocktails. We need to detox a bit. This salad is the perfect salad to make if you need to get back on track and feel like your old self again. Grab a fork and prepare to indulge in this healthy and tasty dish. The combination of sweet potatoes, beets, walnuts, chickpeas, and maple-dijon dressing make this salad a complete meal. Feel free to go back for seconds!
Beet and Sweet Potato Arugula Salad
Prep Time: 15 mis. Cook Time: 10 mins. Serves: 4
- 6 cups arugula
- 2 medium-sized purple beets, scrubbed clean and cut into thin matchsticks (do this by slicing the beet into thin rounds and then cutting each round into thin matchsticks)
- 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed clean and cut into thin matchsticks (do this by slicing the sweet potato into thin rounds and then slicing each round into thin matchsticks)
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 1/2 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBS pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 large shallot, minced (about 1 TBS worth)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus more if need be)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Prepare the dressing by combing all the ingredients together with an immersion blender and processing until smooth. You can do the same thing with a hand whisk, however, make sure to slowly add the olive oil while you whisk away!
- After slicing your beets and and sweet potato into thin matchsticks, add them to a pot of boiling water. Cook until fork tender. About 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a large salad bowl combine arugula with cooked beets, sweet potato, chickpeas, cranberries, and walnuts. Drizzle with dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
NotesPlease use this recipe as a guide. Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.