I can hardly type this post because my fingers are currently covered in blood blisters. Taylor and I are slowly putting the farm to sleep for the season which means a LOT of cleanup work lies ahead of us. (And apparently wounded hands.) We spent the entire day on Friday pulling up black plastic, removing hundreds of tomatoes stakes, and hauling farm equipment to storage for the winter.
We apparently did a very good job pounding our tomato stakes into the ground this year. It took all of our body strength and a LOT of swear words to pull those suckers out.
At one point Taylor looked at me and said “this sucks so badly I feel like bursting into tears.” Yep, you know things are getting pretty bad when Taylor admits that a task is almost tear worthy.
There were no tears shed from Taylor, however, I cannot say the same for myself. I felt like I got my ass kicked pretty badly. There was a moment when I was sprawled out in the dirt begging to call it quits for the day. (I’m not dramatic or anything…) Taylor pushed me through and promised an ice cold pumpkin beer as a reward for surviving the day. I choked back the tears and carried on. I’ll do just about anything for a pumpkin beer.
Taylor rewarded me with my tasty beer and I rewarded him with these lovely quesadillas. Win win.
The sweetness of the butternut squash goes extremely well with the kale and yogurt sauce. Pour yourself a pumpkin beer (you deserve it!) and dig in.
Butternut Squash And Kale Quesadillas With Cumin-Lime Yogurt Sauce
DinnerA lovely quesadilla that highlights in-season butternut squash
- PREP TIME
- COOK TIME
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bunch of kale, tough stems removed and finely chopped (about 2 1/2 cups worth)
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 4 tortillas (spelt, whole wheat, or whatever you fancy)
For the Cumin-Lime Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup plain organic yogurt
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp honey
- minced cilantro
- Combine all the ingredients for the yogurt sauce together in a bowl. Set aside
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the squash and cook until for tender. About 5-8 minutes. Strain squash and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- While squash cooks heat a little oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes stirring often. Add garlic, kale, and chili powder. Cook for about 3-5 more minutes (or until kale is bright green and tender) Remove from heat and place mixture into a bowl. Reserve the same pan for cooking the tortillas (no need to clean it!)
- In a blender of food processor puree the squash with 1 TBS olive oil and a dash of salt.
- Heat a little more oil in the same skillet over medium hight heat. Assemble your quesadillas by spreading a healthy portion of the squash mixture followed by the kale and onion mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and top with the the second tortilla. Cook for about 3-5 minutes per side or until lightly browned and crisp.
- Enjoy with yogurt-lime sauce and cilantro.