I live in this really extraordinary place. A place tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the big city.
It’s a place where I hear the birds singing in the morning and the coyotes howling in the evening.
It’s a place where showing up to work in the same dirty clothes you were in the day before goes unnoticed.
It’s a place where you can eat fresh tomatoes and corn for one meal and roasted butternut squash for the next.
It’s truly magical.
Sometimes I have to pinch myself just to make sure this really is my life. I am so lucky.
I was feeling so warm and fuzzy today that I decided butternut squash needed to be on the menu. And hey, if you are feeling warm and fuzzy too I highly recommend making these burritos. Taylor ate three!
The highlight was the butternut squash of course!
We enjoyed our burritos with a little plain greek yogurt, lime juice, and salsa. They rocked!
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Burritos
DinnerThe perfect burrito to warm you up as the days get shorter. Dig in!
- PREP TIME
- COOK TIME
- 1 medium size butternut squash, peeled, cubed and roasted
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup kale or spinach
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine cubed squash with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a prepared baking sheet and roast for about 30-45 minutes (or until tender and browned) Toss squash halfway through cooking time. Set aside when done.
- Cook brown rice according to your brands directions.
- In a large skillet saute' your onion and garlic in a little oil over medium heat. After about 5 minutes add the pepper and spices. Cook for a few more minutes. Add tomato, rice, spinach or kale, and butternut squash to the pan. Heat everything through.
- Scoop a healthy portion of squash mixture into a warmed up tortilla. Enjoy!